SACRAMENTO – There are nearly 900 new laws in the State of California that will become effective January 1, 2017. Here is a highlight of just a few that caught the eye of 24/7 Headline News reporters.
- Minimum wage, set to increase to $15 by 2022 will be going up to $10.50 beginning January 1, 2017.
- People will no longer be able to own magazines containing more than 10 rounds, and there will be background checks required for all those purchasing ammunition. Law Enforcement officers will now be required to follow the same laws as civilians for storage of firearms.
- Although motorcyclists have been doing this for years; California is the first state to formally legalize lane splitting for motorcyclists. Lane splitting is when a motorcyclist drives between the two regular lanes in the road or highway.
- All public schools will be banned from using the term “Redskin”; including the use of the name as a team/school mascot.
- To increase school bus safety, all school buses will now be required to have a “child-safety alert system”. This system would generate an alarm when the bus is turned off. In order to quiet the alarm, the driver must walk to the back of the bus, which would assist in the detection of any students who remain on the bus. This law is for all public school buses, school pupil activity buses, youth buses, and any child care motor vehicle used to transport school-age children.
- Like other countries; including Mexico, China, and Japan, California will now have an early earthquake warning system. This will give Californians an alert through their cell phone, or other wireless devices. These seismic early-warning systems will use seismic data to warn people of potential earthquakes thus saving lives and preventing injuries.
- The new car seat law, beginning January 1, 2017, will require that all children aged 2 or younger ride in a rear-facing car seat. This will not include those over 40 pounds or 40 inches in height. All other laws remain the same, for more information see the 24/7 Headline car seat law article.
For late-breaking news, follow 24/7 Headline News on our Los Angeles County Facebook group, Riverside County Facebook group, Inland Empire Facebook group. If you like what we are doing and want regular updates on your facebook stream like our Facebook Fan Page. You may also follow 24/7 Headline News on Twitter!
For late-breaking news, join 24/7 Headline News on our Facebook Newsgroups for Los Angeles County News, Riverside County News, Adelanto News, Coachella Valley News, U.S./World News, Victor Valley/Inland Empire News. If you like what we are doing and want regular updates on your Facebook stream like our Facebook Fan Page. You may also follow 24/7 Headline News on Twitter and Instagram!
- Pomona Man Arrested After Crashing into a Wall at the Adelanto Sheriff’s Station - Wednesday, September 1st, 2021
- Norwalk Deputies Are Attempting to Locate Fatal Hit and Run Suspect - Tuesday, August 10th, 2021
- Cypress Man Arrested for Child Rape and Torturing Multiple Children - Tuesday, August 10th, 2021