HIGHLAND – A vehicle with a 2-year-old child was stolen from a liquor store near 9th Street and McKinley in the City of Highland on Tuesday. The father of the child, who was next to the vehicle, was horrified when the man jumped into the vehicle with his daughter still inside and fled the area.
The child’s father chased the vehicle as it fled a short distance before crashing. When the suspect reached the intersection of 9th Street and McKinley Avenue he collided with a second vehicle causing the stolen vehicle to overturn with the child inside. The child was transported to the hospital as a precaution.
Witnesses were able to identify the suspect, later identified as 31-year-old Oscar Garfias, who was already on felony probation for grand theft auto. He was booked into the West Valley Detention Center where he is being held without bail for kidnapping, felony DUI, felony hit-and-run.
- Hesperia Man Killed in Bombshells Bar Stabbing, Family Asking for Community Help - Monday, February 22nd, 2021
- Lake Elsinore Man Struck and Killed on I-10 Freeway in Bloomington - Monday, February 22nd, 2021
- San Bernardino Crash Takes Life of 25-year-old Resident - Monday, February 22nd, 2021
- Screenshot-2016-07-20-12.09.05: SBSD
- Stolen Vehicle following collision: SBCSD