UPDATE: at 9:08 am by USFS and SB County Fire to 7,522 acres with 6% containment.
“Hesperia Police Department has 4 two man units proactively patrolling the evacuated areas and Twin Peaks Sheriff’s Station has 5 two man units proactively patrolling the evacuated areas,” SB County Sheriff’s officials said in a news release.
UPDATE: at 11:12 a.m the US Forest Service downgraded the size of the fire back down to 6,963 Acres with 6% containment.
HESPERIA – The Pilot Fire started at around 12:05 p.m. on Sunday, August 7, 2016, and has grown into a massive 6963 acres with 6% containment as of 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Thousands of residents have been forced to leave their homes, some with animals rushing them to the safety the local emergency shelter set up for their care.
Some of those evacuated are being ordered to leave, while others are leaving as part of voluntary evacuations. Those at both the animal and human evacuation sites are recommending that residents leave with time to spare, allowing for a calm and prepared departure for both animals and humans. “There have been no injuries or damage to structures have been reported,” said USFS spokesman David Cruz.
The Red Cross evacuation centers remain at Oak Hills High School located at 7625 Cataba Road, Oak Hills and at Rim of the World High School located at 27400 CA-18, Twin Peaks. No animals will be allowed at the Red Cross evacuation centers. Small and large animals should go to the Victorville Fairgrounds located at 14800 Seventh Street in the City of Victorville. Small animals must be in a crate.
The Pacific Crest Trail remains closed from Deep Creek Hot Springs (3W02) to Lake Silverwood. The Miller Canyon Off-Road Vehicle (OHV) area remains closed.
There are mandatory evacuations from Summit Valley north to Ranchero Road, east to Arrowhead Lake Road and West to Santa Fe in the City of Hesperia, USFS officials said.
Voluntary evacuations are in place from Brentwood Road to the west, Peninsula Road to the south, North Bay Road to the east and everything north of these boundaries in the Lake Arrowhead area. Roads are closed from CA-173 from SR-138 to North Bay Road. Forest roads 2N33, 2N17X, 2N36 and 2N37 are closed.
Road closures are CA-173 from SR-138 to the forest gate, CA-173 at Grass Valley, Arrowhead Lake Road at Ranchero Road, Deep Creek Road closed at Rock Springs Road, Rock Springs Road closed at Arrowhead Lake Road, Grass Valley Road closed at Brentwood.
Air quality remains unhealthy and anyone in areas where there is smoke and/or Ash should avoid any vigorous outdoor activity or prolonged exposure. The SCAQMD-South Coast Air Quality Management District officials said that those with health conditions, older adults and children should remain indoors.
“Keep windows and doors closed or seek alternate shelter. Run your air conditioner if you have one and keep the fresh air intake closed and the filter clean to prevent bringing additional smoke inside,” SCAQMD officials said. “Avoid using a swamp cooler or whole-house fan to prevent bringing additional smoke inside. To avoid worsening the health effects of smoke, don’t use indoor or outdoor wood-burning appliances, including fireplaces.”
According to the USFS officials, there are now 934 fire personnel on the scene fighting the fire including 14 Crews, 91 Engines, 11 Dozers,15 Water Tenders, 8 Helicopters, and 8 Air Tankers.
The following is directly from InciWeb (the USFS fire update website)
• The entire community of Deer Lodge Park. Also included is Aleutian Drive, Klondike Drive, Evergreen Lane, Yukon Drive.
• Hwy 173 north and south from Hwy 138 to Arrowhead Lake Road
• Arrowhead Lake Road to Hesperia Lakes Road (Continued other side)
• Areas east of Santa Fe Road, south of Ranchero Road to Arrowhead Lake Road, and north of the Spillway
• Areas east of the Mojave River and south of Rock Springs Road to Kiowa Road
• The community of Grass Valley Lake in addition to the area north of Peninsula and North Bay Roads to Hwy 173, and south of Hwy 173 from North Bay Road to Grass Valley Road
- Pomona Man Arrested After Crashing into a Wall at the Adelanto Sheriff’s Station - Wednesday, September 1st, 2021
- Norwalk Deputies Are Attempting to Locate Fatal Hit and Run Suspect - Tuesday, August 10th, 2021
- Cypress Man Arrested for Child Rape and Torturing Multiple Children - Tuesday, August 10th, 2021